***BAY AREA MEGA-MASSIVE MOVING PLANET MOBILIZATION***
About The Event
Alright folks, this is the BIG ONE!
As you all know, Moving Planet is a global day of action scheduled for September 24th 2011, and it's on track to be one of the most massive mobilizations of people power (and pedal power!) our nation and world has ever seen. There will be events all around the world, but of course the event in the Bay Area has the potential to be HUGE.
On the morning of September 24th, in cities and towns around the Bay Area, groups of people will be gathering for Moving Planet. Some of these gatherings may do a small action or movement together, like a bike ride or a rally at the city hall. Other groups may simply be gathering for a creative group photo or cheer. But either way, near or far, big group or small, before noontime, everyone will be traveling to SF by public transit (i.e. ferries, trains, and buses), ev's, carpools, horses, bikes, and foot for our Mega-Massive Moving Planet Mobilization.
Everyone will MEET at Justin Herman Plaza* at NOON.
We will then PARADE down Market Street at 12:30pm, headed towards Civic Center Plaza**.
We encourage groups from around the Bay Area to build community through art, creativity and movement. Bonus points to those that organize pre-Moving Planet banner, flag, or bike decorating parties to give the day more fun and flare. Finally, we will end the procession (but not the movement!) at Civic Center Plaza, for an afternoon of:
- Speakers (such as Bill McKibben co-founder of 350.org, Mike Brune Executive Director of the Sierra Club, Carl Anthony of Earth House/Breakthrough Communities, and more!);
- Tabling and outreach opportunities for our Partners;
- Workshops, art projects, science experiments, and other fun activities;
- Music, dancing, food and drinks;
- An aerial group photo;
- and so much more!
Our local FOCUS will be moving forward with a sustainable communities plan to create clean and healthy communities into the future. Local leaders are deciding how to spend $220 BILLION to maintain green space and biodiversity, clean our air, and create sustainable jobs though improving our transportation systems and available housing. Your voice is needed to make sure these dollars prioritize:
- Accessible, reliable, and clean public transit, NOT expanded highways and urban sprawl;
- Bike-friendly, walkable communities and affordable, inclusive housing; and
- Protection of parks, natural spaces, and agricultural lands.
Please fill out this short form
* Justin Herman Plaza is located at the foot of Market Street at the Embarcadero, just behind the Hyatt Regency Hotel. It is just across the street from the Ferry Building. You can take BART or Muni to the Embarcadero Station.
** Civic Center Plaza is easily accissible via foot, bike, public transportation. If taking BART, Muni, or Golden Gate Transit get off at Civic Center/UN Plaza Station. (Also see map at top right)
Do you live in one of these cities below? Check out the morning meet-up event pages and RSVP to let the organizers know that you're attending! (click on the city name to go to the event page)
Are you hosting a morning Moving Planet event that we forgot to add to our list? Let us know asap!
WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS!!!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you:
- Can Outreach before the event (see calendar here)
- Are a doctor or nurse & can be a First Aid volunteer
- Have experience doing Zero Waste
- Are a Photographer or Videographer
- Are an aritst / creative person who can donate some time, materials or other resources! (We need to make a lot of posters, bike decorations, etc.!)
1 MORE Important Event to attend BEFORE MOVING PLANET:
- What: THE LAST MINUTE PARTY!!
- When: Fri. 9/23 @ time 3pm - ...
- Where: TBD - 350.org office - 405 14th St. Suite 1120 Oakland CA
- Why: To finish up any last minute coordinating items and visuals making - poster making, bike decorating, etc. - ashley and I will be glittering our helmets.. you're welcome to join in the on the fun!
- Bring: Your phone, computer, any art supplies, extra posters, fliers, etc.
- I'll have coffee & snacks! But feel free to bring things to share!
1) SIGN UP right on this page (see the box on the right!)
2) LIKE our Facebook Page to stay updated: http://www.facebook.com/bayareamovingplanet
Click to ATTEND our Facebook Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=257670677599504
3) FOLLOW us on Twitter to stay in the know: http://twitter.com/350SF_BayArea
- retweet: 9/24 is the day for the Bay to move beyond fossil fuels! Join 350.org, N.O.W. and Sierra Club for #MovingPlanet! RSVP: http://bit.ly/pz8kUe
4) DONATE TODAY: http://bit.ly/donate_mp
5) COME TO THE LAST MINUTE PARTY - make some posters, recruit your friends & hang out with the organizers - from 3pm-whenever on Friday, 9/23, @ 405 14th St. Oakland CA
Rachel & the Bay Area Moving Planet Team
Watch & Share the MOVING PLANET VIDEO:
Visit our Facebook page and share it with your friends!
------------------------Partners & Allies List
San Francisco Family Art Program
Tacolist.com - Henry, the Barefoot Eco-runner
And a BIG THANK YOU to the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department!
Remember to BYOF (bring your own food) or enjoy from our delicious & local Food Trucks!
Let's Be Frank - Local Grass-Fed Beef Hotdogs
Twirl & Dip - All Natural Soft Serve Ice Cream
TomKat - Asian Street Food
Sunny Vibrations - Solar Powered Vegan Food